Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC)
Tax credits to eligible businesses contributing to a Scholarship Organization, an Educational Improvement Organization, and/or a Pre-Kindergarten Scholarship Organization.
Business Application Timeline
- May 15 – Business applicants who have fulfilled their 2-year commitment and wish to reapply in FY 15/16 to renew their 2-year commitment.
- May 15 – Businesses who are in the middle of their 2-year commitment.
- July 1 – All other businesses including Pre-K business applications. Beginning in FY 15/16 business firms may agree to provide the same amount of contribution to a Pre-K scholarship organization for two consecutive years.
Pass-through entities, such as S-Corporations, Partnerships, LLCs, etc., can now apply the same day as C-Corporations. Applications must be submitted electronically using DCED’s Single Application for Assistance. See the business application guide in the box above.
Tax credits may be applied against the tax liability of a business for the tax year in which the contribution was made.
Tax credits equal to 75 percent of its contribution up to a maximum of $750,000 per taxable year. Can be increased to 90 percent of the contribution, if business agrees to provide same amount for two consecutive tax years. For contributions to Pre-Kindergarten Scholarship Organizations, a business may receive a tax credit equal to 100 percent of the first $10,000 contributed and up to 90 percent of the remaining amount contributed up to a maximum credit of $200,000 annually.
Businesses authorized to do business in Pennsylvania who are subject to one or more of the following taxes:
- Personal Income Tax
- Capital Stock/Foreign Franchise Tax
- Corporate Net Income Tax
- Bank Shares Tax
- Title Insurance & Trust Company Shares Tax
- Insurance Premium Tax (excluding surplus lines, unauthorized, domestic/foreign marine)
- Mutual Thrift Tax
- Malt Beverage Tax
- Retaliatory Fees under section 212 of the Insurance Company Law of 1921
An approved company must provide proof to DCED within 90 days of the notification letter that the contribution was made within 60 days of the notification letter. Tax credits not used in the tax year the contribution was made may not be carried forward or carried back and are not refundable or transferable.
How to Apply
Pennsylvania businesses can begin applying for EITC credits through DCED's electronic single application system. DCED will no longer require applicants to mail the signed signature page.
The business application guide explains the process of applying. Tax credit applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis by day submitted. All applications received on a specific day will be processed on a random basis before moving on to the next day's applications. Applications will be approved until the amount of available tax credits is exhausted.
Applicants interested in applying as an Educational Improvement Organization, Scholarship Organization or Pre-K Organization can apply at DCED Center for Business Financing, Tax Credit Division, 4th Floor, Commonwealth Keystone Building, 400 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120: (717) 787-7120 or RA-EITC@pa.gov. Do not use the Single Application. The application process is listed below.
Organizational Guidelines (.PDF):
- Scholarship Organization & Educational Improvement Organization
- Pre-Kindergarten Scholarship Organization