Starting a Business
Get the resources to learn the basics of starting your own business.
The Basics of Starting a Small Business
The Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) support the economic development of entrepreneurs with individual consultation and the comprehensive education and information necessary to help their businesses start, grow and prosper.
- Tutorial for starting a business
- Business checklist
- Writing a business plan
- Keep up-to-date on tax issues
- FAQs on starting a business
Incorporating and Registering Your Business
The U.S. Small Business Administration will help you find which permits and licenses apply to your small business, as well as provide links to application forms and instructions so you can make sure your start-up complies with all federal, state and local rules.
- Incorporating your business
- Search for business licenses and permits
- Register your fictitious or "Doing Business As" (DBA) name
- 5 Steps to registering your business
- Registering your business with PA
Need a website to build an online presence for your business?
Check out Get Your Business Online, an initiative powered by Google in partnership with the Pennsylvania Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs), the Team Pennsylvania Foundation, the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, Intuit and other Pennsylvania entities to grow small businesses by helping them develop their own free websites.