Southwest PREP Region Overview
Contact the Southwest PREP Coordinator
Ms. Petra Mitchell, President and CEO
PREP Region Profile
Southwestern Pennsylvania has fared better than many regions throughout the country and the nation as a whole. Led by historic stalwarts, such as manufacturing, and along with more recent drivers, such as healthcare and education, the region has above average employment and regional GDP statistics. When ranking the top five regional industry sectors by employment and regional GDP, only one sector, health care and social assistance, shows up on all three lists. Manufacturing is among the top five sectors in employment and the number one sector in terms of GDP. Educational and Health Services is among the top five in employment. The fastest growing industry sector in the region in both employment and contribution to the region’s GDP is mining, led by the subsector associated with Marcellus Shale gas exploration and extraction.
The Pittsburgh region also outperformed the United States in employment growth. In successive years from 2008 to 2010, the region’s average annual change in employment was dramatically better than the average of the U.S. Once again healthcare and social assistance and manufacturing rank among the top employment sectors in the region. Mining was the sector that showed the greatest annual percentage increase, and again this is due to the subsector that includes Marcellus Shale gas.
In the Pittsburgh region over 96% of the firms would be categorized as small to medium size and over 83% would be categorized as small. These small firms are responsible for more than 17% of the region’s employment and nearly 21% of new employment.
Southwest PREP Counties
Partnerships for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) Partners
- Southwestern Pennsylvania Planning Commission
- Catalyst Connection
- Allegheny County Department of Economic Development
- Armstrong County Department of Economic Development
- Beaver County Corporation for Economic Development
- Community Development Corporation of Butler County
- Fay-Penn Economic Development Council
- Greene County Industrial Development Corporation
- Washington County Chamber of Commerce
- Westmoreland County Industrial Development Corporation
- Clarion University SBDC
- Duquesne University SBDC
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania SBDC
- Saint Vincent College SBDC
- University of Pittsburgh SBDC
Additional organizations routinely work with the core partners to implement regional economic development programs and initiatives. They include but are not limited to:
- health care and social assistance
- retail trade
- accommodation and food services
- educational & health services
Major Regional Employers
- UPMC Health System
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- University of Pittsburgh
- BNY Mellon Corp.
- PNC Financial Services Group
Incentive Programs/Technical Resources
- Regional Export Network (REN)
- Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs)
Southwest PREP Region Map
PA SiteSearch’s interactive map makes relocating or expanding a business in Pennsylvania easy with a state wide site and building database, community profiles and economic development contact information right at your fingertips.